The Running Prøgram
Strength Training for ALL Runners
This specialty class provides runners of all levels & abilities the opportunity to supplement their running routine with functional strength training exercises. These exercises will be focused on the lower-body, core and postural muscle groups that are important for to maximize your running performance and help minimize common overuse running injuries
The RUNNING Prøgram follows a 3-phase periodized training program (similar to The STRENGTH Prøgram), which cycles through a new training phase every 4 weeks. This ensures proper progressions to maximize your training adaptations, limit training plateaus, and give you enough variation to avoid injury.”
- The initial phase is focused on building up the capacity of your muscles to do work and prepare them to handle the challenges to come.
- The focus during this phase is on lighter resistance and higher number of repetitions (12+). Using a controlled tempo, you will gradually increase your weights (i.e. resistance) when possible to achieve fatigue and that light “burn” in the muscles.
- This phase focuses on developing your muscle fibers by increasing your resistance (i.e. weights) and decreasing your repetitions compared to the previous phase (in the 10 repetition range).
- There will be an emphasis on slow tempos during the eccentric phase of movements, which will accentuate the breakdown of your muscles in order to build them up again.
- To maximize your results during this phase, you can expect to minimize your rest between sets and push yourself to fatigue!
- The final phase will culminate in achieving your maximal muscular strength goals by increasing your resistance and decreasing your repetitions once again from the previous phase (in the 8 repetition range).
- The goal of this phase will be to achieve your own personal best for resistance on any given movement.